Australia’s new Labor-led government has reached a 555 million euro ($583.58 million) settlement over a controversial decision last year to scrap the French submarine deal, a move Canberra hopes will help repair the rift between the two countries.
Australia last year cancelled a multi-billion-dollar order for submarines with French military shipyard Naval Group and opted instead for an alternative deal with the United States and Britain.
The move enraged Paris and triggered an unprecedented diplomatic crisis. It has also riled China, the major rising power in the Indo-Pacific region.
Australia Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Saturday in a news conference in Sydney that his government had reached a “fair and equitable” settlement with Naval Group.
The cancellation last year of Canberra’s order for a new conventional submarine fleet with Naval Group – valued at $40 billion in 2016 and reckoned to cost much more today — came after the previous government signed a trilateral security partnership with the United States and Britain.
The trilateral deal was for a fleet of nuclear-powered submarines with U.S. and British technology. Albanese said the settlement would allow Australia to move forward in its relationship with France.
“Given the gravity of the challenges that we face both in the region and globally, it is essential that Australia and France once again unite to defend our shared principles and interests,” Albanese said in a separate statement.
Australia, the United States, France and its partners have all expressed concern about China’s growing influence in the Pacific, a region that has traditionally been under their sway. Their concerns increased after China and the Solomon Island’s signed a security pact earlier in the year.
“We deeply respect France’s role and active engagement in the Indo-Pacific,” Albanese said. He added he was looking forward to taking up French President Emmanuel Macron’s invitation to visit Paris.
By Odoh Dominic Chukwuemeka
Like, Share or comment on this article.
Your support matters.
Sustain independent journalism.
FOR ADVERT PLACEMENT CALL OR TEXT OUR WHATSAPP NUMBER; +886960917723, +886970840314
Click to Follow our website Dco-global-news.com
FaceBook Page; DCO Global News
DCO Global News Contacts;
For information on Press Releases, News, Advertisements, Videos, Photos, Events happenings, Promotional Events and Adverts, Share your stories with us, Please Call or Send a Text to our Whatsapp number; +886963563485, +886970840314.
Or send an email to; firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
(Like and Follow our Facebook Page; DCO Global News)
(Follow us on Twitter; @Dcoglobalnews)
(Follow us on LinkedIn; Dco Global News)
(Follow us on Tumblr; Dcoglobalnews)
(Follow us on Google +; Dco Global News TV)
(Subscribe to our YouTube Channel; DCO Global News TV)
Subscribe to our Telegram Channel DCO Global News.
Follow our Website http www. dco-global-news.com
Advertise with us.
Send us enquiries, Press releases.
DCO Global News Promotes the Values of Democracy, Human Rights, Values of Life and Freedom of Expression in a Region Where Genuine Media Freedom Remains Elusive and where many Media outlets remain Divided along Ethnic Lines.
Let’s 🚶 Walk the 🚶 Walk 🚶 Together.
Don’t miss a thing, get the latest updates to fuel your conversation daily.
For 2022, DCO Global News commit to another year of high-impact reporting that can counter misinformation and offer an authoritative, trustworthy source of news for everyone. With no shareholders or political owner, we set our own agenda and provide truth-seeking journalism that’s free from commercial and political influence. When it’s never mattered more, we can investigate and challenge without fear or favour.
(Support DCO Global News.)
LET’S HAVE YOUR SAY, LET’S KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.
LIKE, SHARE AND COMMENT.
TEXT AD: To advertise here.
Call Dominic +886970840314…
© DGN NEWS MEDIA 2022.
All Rights Reserved.