News, Uncategorized

CATHOLIC CHURCH ANNOUNCES DATE FOR MASS BURIAL OF OWO MASSACRE VICTIMS

The victims of St Francis Catholic Church Owo, Ondo State who were gruesomely murdered on June 5 will be buried this week.

Gunmen suspected to be terrorists had stormed the church nine days ago, killing over 40 worshippers, while injuring several others. The massacre has since been condemned by Nigerians, including President Muhammadu Buhari and many state governors who have called for a probe into the attack.

Owo,


In a statement, the Catholic Diocese of Ondo said the mass burial for the slain worshippers will hold would hold on Friday, June 17.

The Director of Social Communication of the Diocese of Ondo, Revd. Father Augustine Ikwu told Channels Television in Akure that the mass burial would take place at a new cemetery of the diocese located along Emure-Ile Road in Owo.


The Diocese and the State government had earlier announced that about 40 people died while several others sustained injuries during the attack on a fateful day.

Some of the injured victims are still receiving treatment at the Federal Medical Centre and the St. Louis Catholic Hospital both in Owo and some other private hospitals in the state.

Although no one has been arrested in connection with the attack, the police authorities said three unexploded improvised explosive devices (IEDs) have been recovered from the scene of the Owo church attack.

Force Police Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, noted that police investigators have also recovered “pellets of expended AK-47 ammunition” from the scene.

Condemning the tragic incident, the Inspector-General of Police said full-scale investigations into the incident have been ordered with a view to bringing to book the perpetrators of the gruesome killings.

Meanwhile, governors across the six states in the South-west region have declared three days of mourning for victims of the terror attack at Saint Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State.

The governors made the decision in a virtual meeting held on Friday to review the state of insecurity in the region.

According to a communique issued after the meeting, the governors condemned the June 5 attack in Owo which claimed at least 40 lives, and scores hospitalised.

“The Governors agreed to declare a 3-day mourning period in memory of the victims of the 5th June 2022 terror attack on St Francis Catholic, Owaluwa Street, Owo, Ondo State, starting from Monday, 13th June, to Wednesday, 15th, June 2022 to symbolise our collective loss across all South Western States in Nigeria,” the communique read in part.

“The meeting agreed that all the Governors should direct the flying of Flags at Half Mast in all public buildings, facilitates and official residences across all the States in the South West in honour of the victims of the Owo terror attack.”


Published By Odoh Dominic Chukwuemeka

Like, Share or comment on this article.

Your support matters.
Sustain independent journalism.


FOR ADVERT PLACEMENT CALL OR TEXT OUR WHATSAPP NUMBER; +886960917723, +886970840314

Click to Follow our website Dco-global-news.com

FaceBook Page; DCO Global News

DCO Global News Contacts;
For information on Press Releases, News, Advertisements, Videos, Photos, Events happenings, Promotional Events and Adverts, Share your stories with us, Please Call or Send a Text to our Whatsapp number; +886963563485, +886970840314.
Or send an email to; chionikdom02@yahoo.com, emydom29@gmail.com

(Like and Follow our Facebook Page; DCO Global News)

(Follow us on Twitter; @Dcoglobalnews)

(Follow us on LinkedIn; Dco Global News)

(Follow us on Tumblr; Dcoglobalnews)

(Follow us on Google +; Dco Global News TV)

(Subscribe to our YouTube Channel; DCO Global News TV)

Subscribe to our Telegram Channel DCO Global News.

Follow our Website http www. dco-global-news.com

Advertise with us.
Send us enquiries, Press releases.

DCO Global News Promotes the Values of Democracy, Human Rights, Values of Life and Freedom of Expression in a Region Where Genuine Media Freedom Remains Elusive and where many Media outlets remain Divided along Ethnic Lines.
Let’s 🚶 Walk the 🚶 Walk 🚶 Together.
Don’t miss a thing, get the latest updates to fuel your conversation daily.

For 2022, DCO Global News commit to another year of high-impact reporting that can counter misinformation and offer an authoritative, trustworthy source of news for everyone. With no shareholders or political owner, we set our own agenda and provide truth-seeking journalism that’s free from commercial and political influence. When it’s never mattered more, we can investigate and challenge without fear or favour.

(Support DCO Global News.)
LET’S HAVE YOUR SAY, LET’S KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.
LIKE, SHARE AND COMMENT.

TEXT AD: To advertise here.
Call Dominic +886970840314…
© DGN NEWS MEDIA 2022.
All Rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s